Small orange fruit similar in size and shape to a cherry tomato. The fruit is covered in papery husk. Flavor is a pleasant, unique tomato /pineapple like blend. The ground cherry is very similar to the cape gooseberry, both having similar, but unique flavors.
Ground Cherry Salsa
- 1 cup ground cherries, husked and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 mild to medium red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green hot pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve over fish, chicken, or with chips.
Ground Cherry Pie
4 cups ground cherries, husked
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons tapioca
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons butter
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust
||Gently mix together the ground cherries, sugar, tapioca, flour and lemon juice. Let stand for 15 minutes.|
||Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a 9 inch pie pan with half of the pastry.|
||Pour the fruit mixture into the pastry-lined pan, and dot the top with the butter. Cover with top crust or lattice.|
||Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for another 40 minutes, or until golden brown|