Makes 8-10 servings
3 c pitted sour cherries
1/2 c sugar
1 Tbsp cooking tapioca
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter, softened
1. In bowl, combine cherries, sugar, tapioca and butter. flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and apples. Stir until well-blended.
2. Spoon into buttered 7 1/2- by 11 3/4-inch baking dish.
3. Prepare topping: Stir together flour, sugar, salt, egg and butter until crumbly. If desired, use pastry blender to blend in butter. Distribute over op of fruit.
4. Bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes, or until fruit is tender and topping is lightly browned.
Makes 4 cups
1 lb pitted sour cherries
2 c water
1 c dry red wine
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp grated orange rind
1 tsp arrowroot
1. Place cherries in non-reactive pan and cover with water and wine. Cook over medium heat until cherries are soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar and rind until sugar is dissolved.
3. Puree cherries and return to pan.
4. Mix arrowroot with 1/4 c cooled syrup. Stir into mixture and cook until slightly thickened.
Serve hot or cold as first or last course.
Makes 3 cups
1 c water
4 c pitted sour cherries
1 c sugar
1. Bring water to boil in non-reactive saucepan. Add cherries; immediately reduce heat to simmer.
2. Cook until almost tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in sugar to dissolve; continue cooking until tender.
Serve as accompaniment to roasted beef or pork, or serve over ice cream for dessert.